Table of Contents
Barley grass is the young leaf of the barley plant (Hordeum vulgare). Often referred to as “barley leaves” or “barley green,” barley grass is rich in chlorophyll and anti-oxidants (such as lutonarin and saponarin), and also includes gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), ferulic acid, vitamins, and minerals.
Barley grass is utilized as an active ingredient at numerous juice bars. In addition, natural-food stores typically offer bottled juice drinks including barley grass juice. Some stores likewise offer packages that enable you to grow your own barley grass for juicing.
In Japan, green juices made with active ingredients like young barley grass juice are called “aojiru,” and are widely consumed to improve health.2 Barley grass powder (a dehydrated form of barley grass extract), barley grass pills, and barley grass tablets are sold in numerous natural-food shops and in stores focusing on dietary supplements.
Barley Grass Nutrition Facts
Three teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) offer 20 calories, 2g of protein, 2g of carbs, and 0g of fat. Barley juice is an outstanding source of vitamin A, iron, and magnesium. The following dietary data is from the USDA.
- Calories: 20
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin A: 950IU
- Iron: 1.1 mg
- Magnesium: 25mg
3 teaspoons of barley grass juice powder consist of 2 grams of carbs, none of which comes from fiber. There has to do with 1 gram of natural sugars in this serving size.
Barley grass juice powder is fat-free.
Barley grass juice powder has 2 grams of protein in a three-teaspoon serving.
Vitamins and Minerals
Barley grass juice powder is especially high in vitamin A, with 20% of your daily recommended intake (based on a 2,000 calorie diet plan) in just 3 teaspoons. It is likewise a great source of riboflavin, potassium, iron, and magnesium.
Three teaspoons of barley grass juice powder (5g) supply 20 calories, half of which come from carbohydrates and the other half from protein. 1.
Barley grass is abundant in amino acids, which are very important foundation for proteins in the body. The nine vital amino acids barley grass provides assists the body repair muscles, capillary, and even bone marrow. (1 ).
Barley grass is likewise a great source of:
The necessary amino acids in barley grass are total, making it among the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. Many plants do not offer all the important amino acids that the body needs. Barley grass can provide every amino acid, assisting individuals who eat plant-based diets to get the nutrition they require.
How to Prepare Barley Grass?
Barley grass is normally taken in as part of a juice, because the texture can be unpleasant to consume. You can grow your own barley grass and juice it yourself, or you can buy barley grass extract as a powder. Barley grass juice can be discovered at juice bars, in health food stores, and even in some larger grocery stores around the nation.
If you have an interest in adding barley grass juice to your diet plan, think about the following options:.
- Consume barley grass juice by itself
- Include barley grass juice to smoothies
- Include a tablespoon of barley grass powder in protein shakes
- Include barley grass juice to cocktails
- Usage barley grass juice in zucchini bread (2 )
9 Advantages of Barley Grass Juice
- It is an effective anti-oxidant: Anti-oxidants are good for your heart and they secure your body from all kinds of radical damage triggered when you are exposed to contamination, smoking, and certain chemicals.
- It is understood to increase the body immune system: The immune system resembles an anti-virus for our body. It identifies antigens and assists the body to get resistance against them so that the next time when they enter our body, we do not get ill from them.
- It cleanses the body by launching extra water: Detoxing is the procedure of removing harmful compounds from our body. Consumption of Barley Grass juice launches additional water making us fit and fine in no time!
- Treats Ulcerative Colitis: Consume Barley Grass Juice for a healthy gut. Ulcerative Colitis is a type of bowel illness which leads to the swelling of your gastrointestinal tract. The disease often results in the development of ulcers impacting the inner-most layer of your large intestine and rectum.
- Aids Weight Loss indirectly by boosting the metabolism: Metabolism is generally the body’s speed of burning calories. Since Barley Grass Juice is rich in anti-oxidants and assists in effective detoxification of the body, it helps indirectly and assists you to slim down. Barley Grass Juice helps in reliable detoxing of the body.
- Promotes Bone Health: The health of the bones in our body is determined using a term called ‘Bone Mineral Density’. The higher this density, the better is the condition of our bones. Barley Grass Juice increases this density that makes it an essential health beverage.
- Improves Skin Health: Barley Grass Juice gives your body the much needed anti-oxidants which help in warding off free-radical damage on our skin and thus, consumption of it enhances your skin health too.
- Reduces Excess Level of acidity: Level of acidity takes place when your body produces more than what it requires in regards to acids to absorb the food you eat. Consumption of Barley Grass Juice helps in canceling the acid content in your stubborn belly and eases the burning sensation thus triggered.
- It assists in cases of Hyperlipidemia: Hyperlipidemia is a condition caused by high levels of cholesterol in your body. When extra fats accumulate in your blood that is when a person is said to be struggling with this condition. Routine intake of Barley Grass Juice assists in improving this condition. In General, Barley Grass juice is one of the many health drinks you can choose, as it contains a lot of health benefits focused on keeping you healthy and fit. You can grow the grass in your garden and juice it when you seem like having a glass. Else, you can even buy it from the marketplace. Club this health drink with a balanced diet plan and you won’t need anything else to stay in top shape! (3 )
More Surprising Advantages Of Barley Grass
May Relieve Ulcerative Colitis
Barley grass is a valuable herb in dealing with ulcerative colitis attributing to its stimulating result on gut-friendly germs. It has been found to assist in easing swelling and other associated signs implicated in ulcerative colitis by lowering the intriguing chemicals in the bowel. This nutrient-rich food might also help in balancing the fluidity in the bowel and removing built up contaminants from the body.
Might Boost Immunity
Barley grass may support boosting the immune defense mechanism of the body. Routine usage provides the required nutrition which is required for stabilizing the optimum production of immune cells in the body. An efficient and strong immune defense system vigilantly fights infections and prevents the development of chronic inflammatory diseases.
May Have Anti-cancer Potential
Barley grass has been experimented with in different diets for chronic illness avoidance. A research study published in the Biomedical Journal in 2017 states that Korean scientists found that barley grass extract triggered apoptosis of breast and prostate cancer cells and may work for cancer treatment during therapeutic interventions. While these results are appealing, its anti-cancer homes have yet to be fully checked out.
Might Protect versus UV Radiation
Another useful effect of barley grass is its potentially protective action against the cell destructing impacts of UV radiation. It extends a healing relief on the existing damaged cell owing to the existence of superoxide dismutase enzymes.
It might likewise act defensively against the effects of radioactivity; some attribute this to the existence of chlorophyll material, which may improve the resistance to radioactivity and also encourages the production of new members cells. For this reason, it is normally suggested to drink barley grass juice pre and post-exposure to x-rays to supply additional defense (along with suitable individual protective gear) against the radioactive damage.
May Battle Dependency
Barley grass is also thought about a home remedy for fighting different sort of dependencies. The existence of glutamic acid in it is said to prevent the yearning for alcohol, coffee, nicotine, drugs, and even sugary sweets. Nevertheless, for those with a damaging dependency, it is best to seek medical attention in combination with this home treatment.
May Reduce Signs of Aging
Barley grass is considered a natural way to stimulate the regrowth of cells without any side effects– and reduce signs of aging. Vital parts such as chlorophyll, vitamin B, iron, and phycocyanin, a blue pigment in barley grass, enhance the bone marrow and support the production of white and red blood cells. This restoring impact of barley grass likewise helps in reducing the indications of aging by revitalizing the aging cells and helping to maintain healthy and vibrant skin.
Barley grass is used worldwide in soups and stews, and for making barley bread. Barley is likewise used in the production of malted items, such as malted milk, white wine, and beer.
Apart from an excellent range of use for human beings, barley grass is likewise utilized to make hay and fodder for animals.
Word of Caution: Although barley grass is generally safe, some individuals may respond sensitively to the barley grain with symptoms consisting of throwing up, itching, and burning experience in the throat and mouth. Those individuals ought to avoid the use of barley grass or discuss it with a medical professional to much better understand if this is allergy-related.
Gluten in Grains
While pure barley grass, with no grains, contains no gluten at all, individuals struggling with celiac illness should generally prevent the use of barley items made from the grain as they may contain gluten protein. Celiac illness interferes with the absorption of vital nutrients in the body and may result in serious issues connected to the brain, liver, and the nerve system.
Natural caution before attempting barley grass for the first time is constantly recommended particularly when the level of sensitivity is not known. Throughout special conditions such as pregnancy and lactation, it is suggested to consult a professional to comprehend the suitable dose and results of barley grass to prevent any problems. (4 ).
Barley and your hair
Healthy hair is a part of a healthy body. The deficiency of nutrients or an extended health problem can negatively impact your hair. Barley contains all the important nutrients, consisting of proteins, carbohydrates, dietary fiber along with vitamins and antioxidants, that are important for hair health and uses the following hair care benefits.
1. Brings Back Hair Colour:
The intake of green barley grass helps in restoring your hair color. Moreover, barley contains the mineral copper that is associated with the formation of melanin, a pigment which offers color to your hair.
2. Promotes Hair Growth:
Barley is rich in the micronutrients, thiamin and niacin, that help in hair development. It likewise consists of Procyanidin B-3, which is separated from barley and identified as a hair growth stimulant.
3. Fights Hair Loss:
Anemia is one of the most common reasons for hair loss. Barley contains the minerals iron and copper, which boost the production of red cell, hence fending off anemia and, subsequently, stimulating hair development. (5 ).
How To Grow Barley Grass Indoors For Juicing
Growing barley grass at home is as basic and affordable as growing wheat turf, and some people discover they prefer the taste of barley grass juice to wheat grass juice, for its milder taste. Barley sprouts and the juice you can make are a natural antioxidant in addition to a natural metabolism booster. Follow the steps below to begin growing your own barley grass in the house and make homemade barley grass juice!
TYPES OF BARLEY GRASS
There are many kinds of barley grass and there are different ways to classify each type. The very best way to differentiate barley grass types is to count the grains when the yard is fully grown. Each type has a different variety of grains. The various types don’t alter the structure of the yard itself, so the type of barley grass you pick has little effect on the final juice.
Materials For Growing Barley Grass
- Jar or bowl for soaking
- 1 cup Barley Seeds
- 10×10-inch Clean growing tray, with holes for draining pipes:
- Plastic food tray from deli, thoroughly washed
- Growing tray from garden supply shop
- Decorative planter (for growing decorative lawn)
- Soil enriched with fertilizer, compost, or azomite, if essential
- Plastic lid with air shaft or extra tray to utilize as tray cover
How To Step Barley Seeds For Your Tray Size
1 cup of barley seeds ( 1/2 lb) suffices for a 10×10-inch tray and grows sufficient turf to make about 10 ounces of barley grass juice. If your tray is a various size, change the quantity of seeds accordingly.
Instructions For Growing Barley Grass
Follow guidelines for Sprouting Barley and sprout simply until tails start to reveal. Avoid over-sprouting or sprouts might not root in the soil for growing barley grass.
- Add a 1/2- to 1-inch layer of soil to growing tray.
- Water carefully to moisten soil. Prevent overwatering to the point puddles form.
- Sprinkle seeds evenly throughout soil, breaking up clumps as needed.
- Sprinkle loose soil over seeds.
- Location tray in an area with indirect light, at 60-80ºf.
- Cover with a plastic cover with air shaft to produce a greenhouse effect. Make sure lid is high enough to allow turf to grow 1-2 inches.
- Water daily, prevent overwatering. Using a spray bottle is a great watering method till seeds root and turf starts to grow.
- After grass is 1-2 inches, eliminate cover, about day 4.
- Continue to water daily, gently to avoid destructive young yard.
Harvesting Barley Grass For Juicing
- Harvest yard at any point, generally about 6 inches tall, for juicing.
- Use scissors to cut lawn just above roots.
- Juice immediately.
- If desired, let the yard grow a second blade, for a second harvest. Nutritional material of lawn from the second harvest is much lower than yard from the very first harvest. (6 )
11 Major Side Effects Of Barley Water
1. Flatus/ Intestinal Gas
Barley is an excellent source of dietary fiber. This may cause digestive tract gas or flatus. The factor behind it is the activities of the useful germs present in our colon. So, try to restrict your barley water consumption to prevent gas development.
Extreme usage of barley water may upset the stomach. Barley water can likewise communicate with certain medications causing indigestion. In both cases, the stomach inflammation can come with minor to major symptoms like discomfort, cramps, bloating, and in some cases even loose bowels or diarrhea and aggravate other IBS signs.
If you consume excessive barley water, the opportunities are that you will wind up developing chronic irregularity. Make sure that you consult your physician in case the problem continues for more than 7 days at a time.
4. Rectal Bleeding
In severe case of constipation, you might experience rectal bleeding with acute pain. Try to prevent consuming this natural laxative in bulk total up to avoid such situations.
5. Fungal Contamination
It has actually been reported that barley water can cause fungal contamination from time to time. Particular pollutants discovered in the malt extract are Trichothecium Roseum and Ochratoxin A. These toxins can take a toll on our bones by breaking them down.
Allergies to barley water are also rather typical. If you currently suffer from hypersensitivity or allergy in the current past, it is time to regulate your everyday intake of barley water. Or else, you might experience a variety of signs like rashes, inflammation, hives, irritation as well as swelling of eyes, eyelids, nose, arms, legs, and even anaphylaxis.
7. Bakers’ Asthma
The grain of barley can cause a severe respiratory allergy called ‘bakers’ asthma’. People operating in bakeries are prone to this condition. However you can also fall prey to it if you are exposed to great deals of barley flour while preparing your barley water. So, beware.
8. Obstructed/ Ruptured Esophagus
Being packed with fiber, barley can damage your esophagus too. Whenever preparing your drink, ensure that you include enough water to the extract of the malt. Otherwise, you might deal with difficulty in swallowing, which can eventually obstruct or even rupture your esophagus.
9. Celiac Illness
Celiac disease is basically wheat allergic reaction, which is caused due to gluten intolerance. Barley contains a substantial quantity of gluten, therefore making the condition even worse.
10. Decreased Blood Sugar Level
Overconsumption of barley water can decrease the amount of sugar in your bloodstream. If it goes under the regular level, you will develop hypoglycemia. So, try to keep a close eye on your blood glucose level while consuming barley water frequently.
11. Surgical Problems
As barley water can trigger an abrupt fall in your blood sugar levels, you ought to constantly take precautions prior to going through surgical treatment. It is recommended that you stop having the beverage a minimum of 10 to 14 days prior to going under the knife. It may assist you manage your blood sugar level so that you can keep all sorts of surgical problems at bay. (7 ).
What is the suggested dosage?
A dosage of 15 g/day dried barley leaf extract has actually been used to lower cholesterol.
Contraindications have not yet been identified.
Information concerning safety and effectiveness in pregnancy and lactation is lacking. (8 ).
Unique Measures & Warnings
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Barley is LIKELY SAFE when taken by mouth during pregnancy in amounts typically discovered in foods. Nevertheless, barley sprouts are POSSIBLY UNSAFE and ought to not be eaten in high quantities during pregnancy.
There is inadequate trusted information about the security of taking barley if you are breast-feeding. Remain on the safe side and prevent usage.
Celiac disease or gluten level of sensitivity: The gluten in barley can make celiac illness even worse. Prevent using barley.
Allergies to cereal grains: Consuming barley may cause an allergy in individuals who are sensitive to other cereal grains, consisting of rye, wheat, oat, corn and rice.
Diabetes: Barley might lower blood glucose levels. Your diabetes medications may need to be adjusted by your healthcare provider.
Surgery: Barley might decrease blood sugar levels. There is an issue that it might disrupt blood sugar control throughout and after surgery. Stop using barley at least 2 weeks prior to an arranged surgical treatment. (9 ).
Barley grass might in some cases be rich in vitamin K, which disrupts the action of anticoagulants such as Coumadin (the trademark name for warfarin, a substance abuse to treat and prevent embolism ). Aside from an allergy, there are no recognized unfavorable effects attributed to barley grass. (10 ).